Ronel Talks Money: 12J Investments
12J Investments is an attractive investment vehicle offering great tax savings for investors and aiming to promote entrepreneurship by investing these funds in entrepreneurial ventures. The 12J investments are coming to an end on 30 June 2021 and this is the last opportunity for investors to still make use of the tax benefits. In this Ronel Talks Money interview, Francois Herbst, Founder and CEO of Groundstone Capital discusses 12J Investments in more detail.
Born with an entrepreneurial spirit, Francois Herbst already started doing business at a tender age. When he founded and managed his first construction business in a small coastal town near Cape Town at 16 years of age, he soon realized that the cornerstone of business success and sustainable growth is a good financial foundation. Now, qualified as a CA(SA), together with his passion for entrepreneurship, he helps companies scale. Francois was awarded SAICA’s 2018 ’Entrepreneur of the Year’ award during their prestigious annual ceremony for the Top 35 Under 35 CA(SA).
A few of the questions we answer in this interview:
- 2020 was the year of the worldwide Covid-19 pandemic – how did you experience the past year from both a personal and a business point of view?
- What advice can you give to people who have lost their jobs or experienced a reduction in income?
- One of your career highlights was the successful turnaround of McCarthy after it was declared insolvent in 2001. What advice can you give to businesses that are currently struggling and having to fight hard to survive and recover?
- Taking into account the recent dramatic changes in our business environment, what in your view will be the top critical success factors going forward?
- You are one of the most respected leaders in South Africa. Do you believe top leaders are born with leadership qualities or can good leaders be developed?
- Please share with us briefly the most important leadership lessons you have learnt during your career spanning 48 years in business.
- How would you describe the quality and effectiveness of leadership in South Africa today?
- You retired as CEO of McCarthy and executive director of Bidvest ten years ago at age 63 – what did you do over the past 10 years?
- Would you mind sharing with us how you approached the financial component of your retirement? Do you have a specific investment philosophy?
- You have achieved so many significant highlights in your life. Are there more items on your bucket list that you would like to tick?
- What makes Brand Pretorius happy and content?
- One year into the pandemic and probably in the toughest time ever on an emotional, financial, and physical level for many people. What would your message be to people watching this – how do we get up and thrive again?
Recent ‘Ronel Talks Money’ interview: Invest like Warren Buffett
Related online course: Master Investments 101