Ronel Talks Money: The Xpresso Cafe Journey
In 2016 serial entrepreneur Nicolene Elhadad decided to try something new by opening a coffee shop and the Xpresso Café concept was born. A unique concept where everything cost R10 (today R12) – good coffee at an affordable price. Within 2 months she opened 3 branches and by the end of their first year she was running and managing 5 branches successfully. Nicolene wanted her brand to impact millions, so she created her own franchise model and expanded her business across the country. By Oct 2021, she has grown this little empire to 29 locations and aims to continue to grow even more over the next few months. In this Ronel Talks Money interview, Nicolene shares her secrets how she started and grown this business. Nicolene is also a coach and mentor helping people to turn their business concepts into multi-location businesses.
A few of the questions we answer in this interview:
- Tell us a little bit about yourself and your journey before you started Xpresso?
- Why a coffee shop?
- Tell us more about the Xpresso concept?
- How did you start?
- Funding is always one of the biggest obstacles for entrepreneurs. Did you fund it yourself or what source of funding did you use?
- Biggest challenges and how did you overcome it?
- Selling lower-cost items like coffee and pastries, how do you ensure your business is profitable?
- Why did you decide to franchise?
- How do you know whether franchising will work for your type of business and business model?
- What should people know about franchising before they explore this option – the challenges?
- Did lockdown impact on your business and how did you deal with it?
- What advice can you give to aspiring entrepreneurs or small business owners?
To connect with Nicolene Enhadad