Ronel Talks Money: Balanced Funds
Many of us have investments invested in balanced funds or our retirement savings are invested in balanced funds. In this Ronel Talks Money interview Johan Louwrens, Senior Portfolio Manager at Cadiz Asset Management helps us to obtain a good understanding of balanced funds and its purpose. Cadiz Asset Management, established in 1996, is a fund manager that managers fixed income, multi asset and equity funds on behalf of its institutional and individual clients.
A few of the questions we answer in this interview:
- Explain to us the concept of balanced funds in layman’s terms?
- How is a balanced fund different from other types of unit trusts?
- What are the pros and cons of a balanced fund?
- Is it more suited as a short-term or longer-term investment?
- Will a balanced fund be a good choice for retirement planning?
- What is the typical allocation percentages of the asset allocation?
- Can balanced funds invest in offshore assets?
- What are the risks involved?
- For somebody interesting in investing in a balanced fund – how do you start and what is the minimum investment requirement?
- Is it easy to invest and disinvest – Liquidity?
- What are the returns an investor can expect when investing in a balanced fund?
- What factors can impact on the performance of a balanced fund?
- What are the costs / fees involved?
- Tell us about the tax implications of a balanced fund?
- Investing in a balanced fund at an asset manager – can anybody do it and do you need a broker / financial advisor?